Nowadays in order to be successful at anything, it takes more than just talent.
Understanding the market, having a mentor, and studying what the masters did, is just a start. We just came across a new book specifically targeted towards Illustrators; although the principles can probably be transferred towards any creative discipline.
How To Be An Illustrator by Darrel Rees offers practical advice to aspiring illustrators. You’ll learn all about the aspects of the job including:
- How to create a portfolio
- The most effective ways to approach would-be clients
- How to prepare for meetings and negotiate contracts
- How to bill
As artists, we sometimes just want to sit behind the curtains and hone our craft. But, that’s not going to pay the bills. You need to understand that it’s not just about creating. It’s also about the art of being a successful creator. And the art of gaining clients, is an art in itself.
How do you survive the publishing jungle?
- Be prepared.
- Have a hunter’s instinct.
- Learn from the best.
- Lure your prey with exquisite work.
- Find out the variety of options open to you.
Continue to be inspired. Be passionate. Show your talent.
Review by Shilpa Raikar.